Probe ext4 corruption
|Reported by:||martin.langhoff||Owned by:||martin.langhoff|
|Deployments affected:||Action Needed:||never set|
We've seen Jon Nettleton hit some disk corruption repeatedly on his development/test machine. Diagnosis of the prob led us to #11210 but it is unclear whether that is the issue.
This is one of our current risks -- it is a concern because we need to know real soon whether this is a hw issue (related to the eMMC parts) or not. We have hit corruption issues with ext4 in the past (#9513) and fell back to ext3. It is not clear however that ext4 is suspect: the whole 11.2.0 dev cycle was done under ext4 and no disk corruption incidents were reported AFAIK.
Jon seemed to hit it while:
- developing, compiling,
- using an ext SD card in the slot,
- running a patched kernel and xorg
- presumably crashing a lot
We need to consider action around this
- try to force the error -- I'll set up a test rig for this, applying unclean shutdowns on a couple of SKU198 units
- keep our eyes open for disk corruption reports, specially in builds including the new gfx code
- be prepared to switch back to ext3