Laptop network autoconfiguration.
|Reported by:||jg||Owned by:||dcbw|
|Deployments affected:||Action Needed:||never set|
Description (last modified by krstic)
We need to ensure that, above and beyond IPv4 "just working" as it is starting to using tools like NetworkManager, that IPv6 works as well or better. Thankfully, IPv6 autoconfiguration eases the problem somewhat: the challenge will be to reconnect the laptops to the IPv6 network, so they can collaborate if not on the same wire or mesh.
The laptops may be used in a number of environments:
- School via conventional access points (think "big school") and beyond
- School via our mesh network and beyond
- Home, isolated mesh
- Home, with internet connectivity
- Home, via our mesh back to school and beyond
- Internet Cafe', currently usually IPv4, maybe IPv6 also.
At each of these locations, there might or might not be native IPv6 available, and any IPv4 connectivity might or might not have routable addresses (or be behind a NAT).
We'd like our systems to always provide IPv6 connectivity without NAT, so that our peer-to-peer applications "just work", no matter where the child goes.
As an example thought experiment, think of kids going home to a large apartment building, and being hidden behind several different NAT boxes. In the IPv4 world, you are usually "out of luck"; we want our applications to work anyway, and in this circumstance, we'll probably have to have the kids to tunnel out to tunnel endpoints (that might be locatable via anycast).
Whether DNS servers (you can trust) are available in many/most of these locations is also questionable. Would we be better off using only DNS servers provided by the school system? And systems like CoDNS in Planetlab show the way toward building much faster and more robust DNS systems.
Change History (6)
comment:1 Changed 11 years ago by krstic
- Description modified (diff)
- Milestone set to rev1 final
- Priority changed from normal to high
comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by jg
- Owner changed from krstic to dcbw
- Status changed from assigned to new