Sticky Alt or Control Key
|Reported by:||davidpfarrell||Owned by:||wad|
|Priority:||normal||Milestone:||8.2.0 (was Update.2)|
|Keywords:||Cc:||davidpfarrell, aconbere, cgalpin, briandorsey, legutierr, holt, kop, bernie, gnu, theplaz, rbh00, mtd, kronenpj|
|Deployments affected:||Action Needed:||never set|
This is day 4 of my new OLPC and today I am experiencing some weird Alt key behavior.
After power on finished, I went straight to the console (Ctl+Alt+Group)
I was not able to log in as every character I typed had a little symbol preceding, as if it were a control character - I Believe the character was '' but am not absolutely positive.
I tried pressing ctl, alt, shift, fn and many other keys for a minute or two to see if the problem would go away. It didn't.
I managed to get back to the home screen, so I 'restarted'
After restart, I switched into the Write activity to try out the keys.
The keys appeared to type as normal, so I again tried to get into the console.
The console didn't up after pressing the keys.
After that, I could not type normally on the keyboard:
- Typing "R" would rotate the screen
- Typing "F" would toggle the frame
- Typing "N" would switch to the next program
- Typing "P" would switch to the previous program
I could tell that one of the control keys was stuck, but I didn't know which one. I eventually discovered that those are Alt key combos.
I tried tapping, rubbing, and flicking the ALT key, but nothing changed.
I left it alone for a few minutes and, when I came back, the keys appeared to be working again.
I tapped the alt key and, grrr, it was stuck again.
I have not found a way to consistently un-stick the alt key when this happens, BUT
If I press the alt key very slightly, it will allow me to type normally, until I relesae the key.
By The Way: I could not repeat the case where that weird character preceded the letters while typing on the console. Holding down Ctl, Alt, Fn or any combo of them did not seem to reproduce the character.
So to summarize:
The left alt key is getting stuck "on" and I can temporarily turn it off by slightly pressing the key. But as soon as I let go of the key, it is stuck "on" again.
Change History (112)
comment:5 Changed 7 years ago by leetcharmer
- Keywords stuck alt ctrl key keyboard added
- Version set to Build 650
comment:6 Changed 7 years ago by jg
- Component changed from distro to hardware
- Keywords stuck alt ctrl key keyboard removed
- Owner changed from jg to holt
comment:12 Changed 7 years ago by leetcharmer
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed
comment:13 Changed 7 years ago by aconbere
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
comment:22 Changed 7 years ago by holt
- Owner changed from holt to wad
- Status changed from reopened to new
comment:37 Changed 7 years ago by greenfox
- Summary changed from Sticky Alt Key to Sticky Alt or Control Key
Changed 7 years ago by wad
Changed 7 years ago by theplaz
comment:93 Changed 7 years ago by rraucci
- Milestone changed from Ship.2 to Update.1
- Version changed from Build 650 to Build 653