Ticket #5998 (new defect)
Arabic keyboard/language testing
|Reported by:||kimquirk||Owned by:||kimquirk|
|Priority:||blocker||Milestone:||8.2.0 (was Update.2)|
|Action Needed:||never set||Verified:||no|
|Deployments affected:||Blocked By:|
Arabic keyboard/language test, from this test plan: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_Keyboard_mappings
- The keyboard switch key causes the arabic characters to show up when using the terminal activity. They do not show up in a linux virtual terminal. I verified that the English map correctly to the US side of the keyboard; and that the other characters that print look somewhat like the ones on the keyboard layout.
- Everything types (in the terminal activity) from left to right. I don't know how to use the characters to see if they are correct or if modifiers work, etc.
I used the sugar-control-panel to change the language to arabic and here are the things that have not be translated:
- Home view: "Connected to a Simple Mesh"
- Browse is the only activity icon that IS translated. All others are English.
- Browse: 'Activity' tab is in English; other tabs are translated; "Share with" and "Private"/"Neighborhood", "Keep" is in English. Stop has been translated. "Full screen", "Zoom In", "Zoom Out".
- Chat: Nothing has been translated -- not even 'Stop' in sugar.
- Write: Most tabs are translated, except for 'Activity', and 'Format'. 'Private', 'neighborhood', 'share with', 'keep', and 'stop' are all english.
- The wrong default font is chosen so I don't get arabic characters.
- The typing starts about 2 inches from the left and characters are inserted such that the older ones move to the right. That might be good, but the default margins are bad as the first 2" on the left are not used.
- 'Underline', 'Italic', 'bold' are English, as are all the font names. 'Undo', 'Redo', 'copy', 'paste', 'Insert image', 'Insert Row', 'Delete Row', etc. are all English; Format tab is all English. 'Zoom in' and 'Zoom out' are english.
- Record: Everything is in English.
- Paint: 'Activity' tab is English. There are many translated items, including all the other tabs. Underneath the next level of menus there is a smattering of English mixed in.
- Journal: 'Anytime' is English and contains 'Past Week', 'Past Month', 'Past Year'. There are 'Minutes' and 'Right now' listed on the right in the list view. The 'Anything' header is translated, but most of the pull down list is in English.
- 'Erase', 'copy to clipboard' and 'go back' are all english.