SD Card Corruption
|Reported by:||haralds||Owned by:||dsaxena|
|Priority:||blocker||Milestone:||8.2.0 (was Update.2)|
|Keywords:||release? 8.1.2:? blocks:8.1.2||Cc:||PierreOssman, jg, dwmw2, mtd, kronenpj, mstone, cjb, pgf, dilinger, Rmyers, aab@…, gregorio, kimquirk|
|Deployments affected:||Action Needed:||communicate|
It looks like some of the versions of current update.1 candidates and joyrides have serious problems with flash drives and SD cards. This especially effects ext 3 use.
I first blamed cards, but even the good ones get clobbered.
Some additional info:
- As somebody else remarked, some of this appears to depend to some degree on the response time of the card or USB flash stick/adapter. Some cards I have do not work at all, but are fine in cameras an on OS X/WIN32.
- Problem go from just corrupting the boot or super block to a whole range of blocks not being written to flash resulting in an unrecoverable disk.
- This appears to be more of an issue with Joyride and update.1 candidate builds than the shipping version (656.)
I seemed to have less trouble, when running from the SD card directly. Booting and running from NAND seemed to create the issue with external cards.
I also noticed that power management did not seem to work/was disabled on 651/656 (this is documented) and when running from the SD card on other builds. It was enabled in a number of experimental builds running from NAND. Could it be the power management is interfering with the SD/USB flash writes?
Change History (76)
comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by rsmith
- Cc PierreOssman added
- Component changed from linuxbios to kernel
- Owner changed from rsmith to dilinger
comment:6 Changed 8 years ago by cjb
- Cc jg dwmw2 added
- Milestone changed from Never Assigned to Update1.1
comment:14 Changed 8 years ago by dsaxena
- Owner changed from dilinger to dsaxena
- Status changed from new to assigned
Changed 8 years ago by dsaxena
comment:45 follow-ups: ↓ 47 ↓ 50 Changed 8 years ago by dsaxena
- Action Needed set to never set
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from assigned to closed
comment:46 Changed 8 years ago by dsaxena
- Milestone changed from 8.1.1 (was Update1.1) to 8.2.0 (was Update.2)
comment:53 Changed 8 years ago by dsaxena
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
comment:60 follow-up: ↓ 61 Changed 8 years ago by mstone
- Action Needed changed from never set to communicate
- Keywords 8.1.2:? blocks:8.1.2 added
comment:73 follow-up: ↓ 74 Changed 8 years ago by frankprindle
- spec_reviewed set to 0
- spec_stage set to unknown
comment:74 in reply to: ↑ 73 Changed 8 years ago by dsaxena
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from reopened to closed