Userspace power manager needs to know about the audio device state
|Reported by:||cjb||Owned by:||pgf|
|Component:||kernel||Version:||Development source as of this date|
|Deployments affected:||Action Needed:||no action|
- is the audio device open?
- when (in epoch time, let's say) was the last time it was opened?
We need to avoid suspending in the "device is open" case and the "device was open case", for two different reasons:
- Suspending while audio is active often breaks audio on resume. This is #4247 and #6201.
- OHM currently doesn't avoid suspending when Record, Distance, eToys or the Totem plugin are busy with audio, because it doesn't know when those activities are currently using the mic/speakers. Distance, for example, opens the audio device briefly in its "continuous measurement" mode, but is idle when not doing that. The "when was the device last opened" will allow OHM to inhibit suspend for it.
A sysfs interface to the two variables would be perfect.
Change History (16)
Changed 7 years ago by dilinger
comment:7 Changed 6 years ago by dsaxena
- Action Needed set to never set
- Cc dilinger added
- Owner changed from dilinger to cjb
comment:8 Changed 3 years ago by pgf
- Cc sascha_silbe added; AlbertCahalan dsaxena dilinger removed
- Owner changed from cjb to pgf
- Summary changed from Userspace (OHM) needs to know about the audio device state to Userspace power manager needs to know about the audio device state
comment:9 Changed 3 years ago by pgf
- Milestone changed from 8.2.0 (was Update.2) to 12.1.0
- Priority changed from blocker to high
- Version set to Development source as of this date
comment:11 Changed 3 years ago by pgf
- Action Needed changed from never set to add to release
- Cc pbrobinson added
comment:14 Changed 2 years ago by pbrobinson
- Action Needed changed from add to build to test in build