Ticket #7898 (reopened defect)
Sugar Activity handbook should not be in PDF
|Reported by:||skierpage||Owned by:||ChristophD|
|Priority:||low||Milestone:||8.2.0 (was Update.2)|
|Keywords:||joyride-2273:- csafor8.2||Cc:||morgs, holt, sj, cscott, brian, isforinsects|
|Action Needed:||never set||Verified:||no|
|Deployments affected:||Blocked By:|
Browse > OLPC Library > activities > find activities > "Making your own activities" has a link to "Sugar Activity Handbook"
This should be an HTML document. A partial list of the problems (this is Read 49 on joyride-2273):
* The Browse-download-Journal-run-Read dance is irritating, and until #6729 is fixed it saves multiple copies of the PDF in the journal
* The many blank even pages (2, 4, 8, 16, 26 ...) are silly in an e-book.
* The acres of whitespace on chapter pages are wasted; clicking the arrow to advance to a chapter page puts me at a blank screen with part of a number in the lower left corner.
* The uneven left-right page gutters are distracting
* It breaks concentration to have a page break in the middle of a paragraph
* The page margins are arbitrary. Every third PgDn leaves me showing the bottom of one page and the top of the next, i.e. a lot of white.
* The hyperlinks e.g.QEMU on Windows p 18 don't work, and even if they did you'd leave Read and lose back-forward.
* Unless each "page" is exactly one XO screen (as in a presentation or flash card), the "page 13" metaphor is mismatched with e-book reading. If you use the prominent Back Forward arrows, you skip over most of the content!
etc. The margins and blank pages might be fixable by tweaking the generation process, but a PDF in Read on an XO of an electronic document doesn't have anything going for it besides embedded fonts. In HTML in Browse is MUCH better. There are samples on the Web that show book-like high-quality display done with HTML and CSS, e.g. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/boom